Booker T. Washington School (formerly Dover School) was built in 1922 as a state of the art facility to serve African-American students in Dover and the surrounding communities. This was an era when many communities, with the leadership and financial backing of Pierre S. duPont erected new schools throughout Delaware. It would soon become a focal point of education and a social center for the community. Throughout the early decades, the school expanded to serve additional students and grade levels.
With the advent of the school desegregation, the historic building housed a multitude of functions, suffered passive neglect and came under eventual disuse.
Given its significance, Capital School District endeavored to rehabilitate and reinvigorate the historic “Booker T.” building to address space needs and salvage an integral element of the Dover community. The project provides additional space for the Kent County Community School programs that serve special need students throughout the county. With the successful completion of Booker T. Washington school, once again an under-served segment of the community has a state of the art facility for learning and gathering.
The design directive was to salvage the building’s historic components, where appropriate, and create a fully accessible and technologically advanced environment for the students and community. The historic section of Booker T. is connected to the newer (1970’s) section of the school that remained in continuous use throughout the extensive renovation.
Stabilization and rehabilitation work includes the following
Materials & Systems